The Idea of Latin AmericaISBN10: 1405100869
Title: The Idea of Latin America
Publisher: Blackwell Publishing; 1 edition (2005)
Size ePub: 1250 kb
Size PDF: 1426 kb
Pages: 218 pages
Subcategory: History & Criticism
The Idea of Latin America
Download Free Links
- 1426 downloads at 21 mb/s
- 1250 downloads at 22 mb/s
The Idea of Latin America is a geo-political manifesto which insists on the need to leave behind an idea which belonged to the nation-building mentality of nineteenth-century Europe.
- Charts the history of the concept of Latin America from its emergence in Europe in the second half of the nineteenth century through various permutations to the present day.
- Asks what is at stake in the survival of an idea which subdivides the Americas.
- Reinstates the indigenous peoples and migrations excluded by the image of a homogenous Latin America with defined borders.
- Insists on the pressing need to leave behind an idea which belonged to the nation-building mentality of nineteenth-century Europe.